Sailing out of NYC, by Jack

posted by Jack


Yesterday we sailed out of New York City early in the morning.  It was a eight-hour sail. I pretty much slept through the whole thing except the first and last hours.  It was cool to see the statue of Liberty's front side from a distance.  When we finally finished the passage, we went to a stretch of a huge one hundred mile long beach that is the Jersey shore.  There were huge waves and huge clam shells.  Towards the end of our stay at the beach I saw a dorsal fin sticking up out of the water about 300 feet away.  I started to panic because I thought it was a shark.  When we were about half way in to the beach we looked back and saw four of them gliding out of the water and we realized that they were dolphins.  They continued to jump for a long time.  We don't have any pictures because they were too far away to really capture on camera.


Statue of liberty on our way out of the harbor

Comments

  1. What an exciting day. I'll bet that fin scared you a bit. What a sight----the dolphins swimming together. Did you enjoy the big city? Or did you miss nature and water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack (and family), I am sorry that I have not read this until now. Gosh! What an adventure! I have seen the Statue of Liberty many times from the decks of the Staten Island Ferry--I did so again the first week of July this past summer. Riding the ferry is one of my favorite things to do when visiting NY City. I cannot imagine passing it on the way out of the harbor and out to the wide ocean. My mother grew up in South Amboy, New Jersey, just a ways south of the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge. Anyway, I hope you all are doing fine. School is in full swing, Parents Night is tomorrow!

    ALlen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, again. By Annie

The first two days, by Jack